Thứ Tư, 2 tháng 4, 2008

The bachelorette



Me and the girls went out Sat night for H girl's bachelorette. It has been almost 4-5 years since I last been to the club. First we met at a spa in Union square and had a nice massage. I picked Thai massage, but this was nothing compared to the one I got in Thailand in term of intensity. The masseur girl barely bended my body nor touch my muscles. She was about my size, and she seemed weak for a masseur. Throught out the entire session, she kept complementing how flexible my body was. Well, I wouldn't want to hear that. I would rather expect my quiet moments for a good massage with a nice retreat setting and facility that worth my $125. But I don't think this time was worth any of that.

Later on, we had dinner at an Asian Fusion. I am not a fan of fusion food for its price and its portion. The only times I would eat at those restaurants are get together dinners with my friends, the typical Asian girls who want fancy food but can't stay away from rice and fish sauce. :-) This time was not different. I ended up finished dinner with an empty stomach. I should had ordered more dishes but I had to go with the flow with the other girls, and I wasn't sure where they planned for desserts. They ordered some wines during the dinner courses, but I did not drink any. Drinking alcohol on an empty stomach is suicidal. Overall, we had cool chats and fun at dinner.

After dinner we headed straight to the club. I had expected some nice fancy bar or something, but this one was a small club with about 200 people room capacity and the crowds there were mostly 30 something years old. On the way to the club we passed by Ruby skye and there was a long line of 20 something college kids. It felt weird. It felt like we used to be them not long ago, and we had also waited in line like that with the same spirit and the same anticipation, and now here we are, walking in the opposite direction and glare at them in much more confidence like we know exactly what we are doing. It's weird to realize how much we have aged. The reality is like a cruel slap on the face when you see the looks on those young kids' eyes with a big question mark "what are these ladies doing, clubbing with us?" and our look on the face is like an exlamation "No, kids. We are heading to a more sophisticate bar with the classier musics and the more intellectural crowds." It definitely felt weird.

The club was almost full when we got there, and it was only 10PM. There was some band playing some light rock on the stage with a projector displaying some cool musical animation in the background. After about an hour, the band stopped playing live and they started DJ'ing musics. The girls had some drinks and started dancing to the hip hop. That was when the night began. I tried to manage consuming as minimum amount of alcohol as possible and succeeded with 2 drinks through out the entire evening. But not that I knew the alcohol was very strong.

We got back to the hotel at 2AM, about the time they closed everything for the day. The girls were hungry so we went back to the small shop down the street for a slice of pizza. Many night owls were also there so we had to wait in line, and we all tried to squeeze in into such a small sized restaurant to get some warm air. Outside the breeze was getting colder as the night started falling away. The winds were fresh. The streets were clear. There were some smokes escaping out of the pipes and dissolving into the air. The street scene was like in that movie Blade when the guy walks down the streets with his hands and sword full of blood after killing all the vampirers. I don't remember vividly of the details in the movie, but I remember the feeling I got from that scene. And for that momment, I got this bizarre illusion like a time machine had brought me back to some place in the past. The past I had never been to. A feeling of deja vu. It was like a floating dream. That was when I know I was buzzed with the alcohol. A good feeling though.

After 2 slices of pizza each, the girls went back to sleep, and I went down to the parking garage to plan to head back home. The girls were all drunk and they forced me to stay. But I had another commitment on Sunday morning being an excuse for me to leave. So I left. When you have many commitments overlapping one another, you tend to flake each of them with its own excuses. I went down to the parking garage by the time my husband called to check. I told him I was not influenced and I was able to drive. I did not realize it was a big lie. By the time I got into the car, I started to realize the concrete world surrounding me. All the news about car accident on tv were coming back and replaying on my head so loudly. I could not believe I was about to do such a stupid thing at this age. All the sudden the memories came back. The careless me of 10 years ago who did not take anything with seriousness. Back then, I did not care to be aware of the consequences. I was too naive to realize how selfish I had been. I had just responded to temptations with a responsibility free attitude.

It was almost 3Am, and I decided to lower my car seat and take a nap. By that time the alcohol had already done absorbing in my body. My head was sober but my stomach was hurting terribly. I had never experienced this before. I was laying there couldn't sleep, couldn't puke, couldn't even move. My husband called again constantly to check where I was. He did not go sleep. In fact, he stayed up the entire evening worrying. For the first time I felt guilty. I felt like I was a teenage girl going to her prom and let her dad staying up all night at home worrying. It was a weird feeling, and I swear I would never want to experience this again, ever.

I hope I don't have to do another crazy thing in life again. Perhaps, I have really aged...

Pensee